About Michael Beel
Buoy Salon & Spa
Wellington, New Zealand
L'Oreal Professional Artist
Editorial & Session Stylist
In conjunction with this busy schedule Michael is one of NZ’s most sought after editorial stylists for leading fashion magazines and iconic NZ designers as well as travelling the world working on fashion weeks in the major fashion destinations such as London, New York, Australia and NZ.
Michael lives, breathes and sleeps hair. Creativity but with an eye for the beautiful is his signature style. His favourite quote comes from the legend herself Miss Dolly Parton
“THE HIGHER THE HAIR THE CLOSER TOO GOD”
With over 20 years of experience within the professional hair industry: Creativity, humbleness, an eye for detail and a willingness to genuinely share his knowledge and experience not only are key attributes that Michael possesses, but are what makes him stand out as a leading educator and session artist within Australasia.
Salon Owner and Creative Director of Buoy Salon and Spa in the CBD of Wellington has him overseeing and leading an exceptional team of 27 staff that continually win awards and lead and push our industry into new directions.
Accolades & Achievements
• 2016 Industry Editorial Stylist of the Year
• 2015 Hair Expo NZ Hairdresser of the Year
• 2015 Industry Mens Hairdresser of the Year
• 2014 Industry NZ Hairdresser of the Year
• Finalist 2014 L’Oreal Colour Trophy Supreme Award
• 2013 Industry Educator of the Year
• Fashion Weeks in New York, London, Australia and New Zealand
• Hair Directing fashion shows for designers such as World, Zambesi, Alexandra Owen, Twenty Seven Names, Ruby, Coop and Liam at NZFW
• Numerous editorial shoots and covers for magazines such as Fashion Quarterly, Remix, Headway, Lucire, Cleo, Cosmopolitan, Ellements and Images Magazine
• Look book and campaign images for designers such as Twenty Seven Names, Ruby, World.
• Educated and mentored other stylists around NZ, Australia, India, Singapore and Hong Kong.
• Being one of ten people hand selected by Sam McKnight on the “Hair-Mastered” course out of 800 to have my work personally critiqued by him and comments such as “beautiful”, “outstanding” and “I love this man’s attention to detail and his eye for fashion”… one of the high points of his career.
Hair’s strong link to fashion has seen him backstage at many shows listed above and working with some of the biggest names in hair has also lead him to lead and assist on trade shows at Hair Expo Gala Nights, Industry, and also at L’Oreal Colour Trophy amongst others.
Michael is dedicated to his craft, has a genuine passion for editorial and session work and has an unquestionable commitment to educating the youth of the hair industry and to lift the calibre of the industry as a whole to be seen as the true creative professionals we are.